Bison and vegetables are sautéed together in this easy skillet. Done in less than 30 minutes, this is a quick paleo and low-carb meal.
No, I did not use one of my many slow cookers. I busted out my Lodge Cast-Iron Skillet for this one. My triathlon-training husband requested bison meat so I ordered up a ton of it (ground and tips) from Omaha Steaks. Of course if you can’t get your hands on bison you can use beef. I suggest grass-fed beef but that’s just a suggestion. If you don’t use grass-fed I’m not judging you. Heck…I don’t always use grass-fed myself. Anyway, I started by marinating the bison for about 5 hours in the marinade you see below.
Simple Meat Marinade (1 lb)
1/4 cup oil (I used avocado oil)
1 tbsp + 1-1/4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
1 tbsp + 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp + 1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
In a medium size bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients. Marinate meat for at least 1 hour to overnight, flipping meat at least once. Discard marinade & cook meat.
Personally I like my meat medium-well but I know that is not a popular choice. Because of that, I will not list out a cooking time for the red meat; you can cook it to your liking. For the vegetables, once again I encourage you to use your favorite vegetables. Since this is cooked in a skillet, you really can’t go wrong here. Listed in the recipe box are the vegetables that I used. This time. I’m sure next time I make this there will be a different set of veggies in the pic.
- 1 lb bison or beef, cubed
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium-size red onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, slices
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- ¼ C oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 tbsp + 1-1/4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients. Marinate meat for at least 1 hour to overnight, flipping meat at least once.
- Heat skillet on stove over medium heat. Discard marinade and add meat to the skillet.
- Cook 3-5 minutes each side or until meat is cooked to your liking.
- Remove meat from skillet. Add vegetables and cook 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- Add meat back to skillet and warm through, mixing well.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve.