When it comes to southern food, catfish and grits are at the top of the list. This is a healthier version of a comfort food classic.
Comfort food, soul food, southern food…whatever you want to call it is okay with me. I was born in Atlanta so I can claim the South right?? This will be a short post because I actually didn’t intend on posting this to the blog. I was just playing around in my kitchen but it came out so well I want to share the recipe. My husband who does not like catfish or grits took one bite and asked for more! I tried to make this as healthy as possible but at the end of the day, it’s a comfort food. For the seasoning I used Emeril’s Essence Creole Seasoning Blend. This is the same seasoning I used on my Slow Cooker Cornish Hens. I keep a large batch of this seasoning in my pantry. It’s so versatile. You can use it on seafood, vegetables and all meats. Below are the instructions. This makes about 1/3 cup.
Emeril’s Essence Creole Seasoning Blend
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp pepper
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
The catfish I got from Sizzlefish as a part of the Light-Eating Protein Fish package. I pretty much only buy my seafood from them these days. I used 1/2 lb (two 4 ounce fillets) of catfish but this recipe can easily be doubled if you’re serving more. You can use instant grits (gggrrrrr) if you like but the instructions I included are not for instant. You’ll have to use the instructions on the box for that.
Would you serve this for breakfast, lunch or dinner? I say all 3.
- Blacked Catfish:
- ½ lb catfish
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1½ tbsp Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning
- 1 cup grits (not instant)
- 2 cups water
- 1¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup cheese (optional)
- Season catfish generously with Emeril's seasoning and set aside.
- Add ghee to a large skillet over medium-high heat until it melts completely.
- Add fish and pan sear a few minutes each side.
- This will cook pretty so be careful not to burn the fish.
- Bring water, milk & salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in grits and return to a boil.
- Cover & simmer approximately 25-30 min.
- Add more almond milk if too thick.
- Stir in cheese and melt before serving if using.
Now June 9th use this discount code SLOWCOOKER10 (case sensitive) and receive 10% off your entire order at Sizzlefish. Shipping is always free.