Stuffed peppers are one of the easiest & healthiest meals you can make in your slow cooker. There are tons of different variations (TexMex, BBQ, Thai for example) to choose from and you don’t even need to brown the pork prior, you just stuff it in raw.
For these peppers, I went with the more traditional route which is Italian stuffed peppers using ground pork. Most people don’t realize this but fresh ground pork is actually leaner than ground turkey AND with more protein.
As for the grains, I used quinoa because it is gluten free unlike my other usual go-to option which is brown rice. While the ground pork is raw, your grains do need to be cooked first. Make sure you do that ahead of time.
I like to cook my peppers with their tops on but that’s just me. It honestly doesn’t make a difference either way. I added approximately 1/4 cup water to the base but again, this is not necessary either if you use the cooking spray (which I forgot to do).
To cheese or not to cheese? This is up to you but come on, who doesn’t like cheese?!?
These were an absolute hit in my household. I have to admit I have never used ground pork in my stuffed peppers before but moving forward this might be my new way. I cooked this on low so the pork, quinoa, marinara, cheese, etc – it all slow cooked together for hours and they really took on a new flavor of their own.
ENTER TO WIN:
– Tag two LA friends in the comments on the IG pic + follow @farmerjohnLA
– Post a fresh pork pic and tag #KeepitFresh2016 #FarmerJohnLA + follow @farmerjohnla OR enter your pic online at http://www.farmerjohn.com/
WHAT COULD YOU WIN??
- $100 in FARMER JOHN® Pork products. Just think, $100 to spend on tenderloin, chops, etc.
- One-Month Membership to LA’s favorite fitness studios!
- Keep It Fresh 2016 shopping bag. Designed to keep your veggies and pork fresh.
You have now through January 31st to submit your entries. A winner will be announced on February 1st.
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 lb Farmer John lean pork
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker (you'll need a 6-quart) with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together pork, quinoa, parmesan cheese, crushed tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into each bell pepper cavity.
- Add bell peppers into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 or until the pork is cooked through.
- Uncover and top with ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
This is a sponsored post written by me in partnership with FARMER JOHN®. All opinions are 100% mine. For more about my disclosure policy see here: http://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.