This is a hearty but healthy version of Shepherd’s pie aka ‘the ideal Irish comfort food’. This paleo version uses lamb and mashed cauliflower.
Shepherd’s Pie: a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato. I read somewhere that shepherd’s pie is ‘the ideal Irish comfort food’. Most Irish foods I kind of only eat around St. Patrick’s Day…except this one. I make this year-round. I can’t say if it’s the ideal Irish comfort food but I really do enjoy it.
Do you eat shepherd’s pie or cottage pie? I actually usually eat cottage pie or a variation of it. There is a difference between the two: the meat. Shepherd’s pie contains lamb while cottage pie contains beef. Most time I make cottage pie and substitute ground turkey. For this recipe since I already broke tradition by using mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, I used lamb shoulder so I can rightfully call this shepherd’s pie.
I used mashed cauliflower because I wanted to create a paleoish version. You can use mashed cauliflower, sweet potatoes, butternut squash or even pumpkin. The use of a paleo flour is optional. Flour is used a thickener in this recipe. If you don’t use the flour then note that you’re filling might be a little on the wet side. Personally, I rarely add the flour. If you check out the very last pic on this page you’ll see how my filling is a little soupy.
- 1 lb lamb (ground or chopped)
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ C low-sodium broth
- 2 tbsp almond flour (optional)
- 1 tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cauliflower: Steam or microwave cauliflower until cooked and soft. Careful removing, it will be hot. Mash in food processor or with a hand mixer. If it's a little too thick, add a few tbsp of almond milk.
- Filling: In a large saute pan brown lamb and season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, drain fat and set aside. Heat ghee in pan. Once hot, add onion & celery and sauté until soft about 7-10 minutes. Add garlic and mushroom and sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add frozen vegetables, broth, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cooked lamb, salt & pepper and mix well. Simmer on low about 10 minutes.
- Spray 8x8 casserole dish lightly with cooking pray. Add filling to dish.
- Top with mashed cauliflower.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cauliflower is slightly crisp.