You can’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day without shepherd’s pie! This slow cooker version of the Irish classic is healthy & super easy.St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner. I’ve posted a Lamb Shepherd’s Pie recipe before but it wasn’t done in a slow cooker. I know, what was I thinking.
There are SO many different versions of ‘traditional’ shepherd’s pie. If you notice, even this one is slightly different from the one I posted last year. To me, this is one of those recipes that you should tweak to your liking. Don’t like thyme? Use rosemary. Don’t eat red meat? Use ground turkey. No, peas are not whole30 or paleo. Simple fix? Swap in diced zucchini!
While this is a relatively easy dish to make in the slow cooker, unfortunately it’s a 2-part recipe. The mashed cauliflower is added during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
I recommend using ground lamb if you can get your hands on some. If not, ground beef or turkey will do just fine. You can also swap out mashed cauliflower for mashed sweet potatoes or a mixture of the two. My husband doesn’t care for mashed cauliflower because they’re a tad ‘too runny’ for him. A great way to thicken up ‘runny’ cauliflower is to mix in a sweet potato or potato depending on your dietary needs.
Since there’s no cheese and it’s not cooked in the oven, don’t be surprised if your mashed topping doesn’t crisp on like you’re used to.
- 1 lb lamb (ground or chopped)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup peas or 2 zucchini, diced
- ½ cup carrots
- ⅓ cup low-sodium broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp almond flour (optional)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp pepper
- Mashed Cauliflower:
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk (or more)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Brown ground lamb in a skillet over medium heat. Drain grease.
- Add browned ground lamb and all other ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Steam cauliflower until tender.
- Add cauliflower, ghee, almond milk, salt and pepper to a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth, adding more almond milk if necessary.
- Pour mashed cauliflower on top of pie filling.
- Cook an additional 30 minutes.