Sweet peppers were made for stuffing! Cook the ground meat of your choice in the slow cooker , stuff, and you have a quick, healthy, paleo and whole-30 compliant appetizer.
Okay who am I kidding? This was no appetizer in my house. I ate a quarter of the ground meat in practically one sitting! I was hungry but still. I used 12 ounces vegetarian-fed bison meat from Simple Truth Organic. I’d estimate about 1/4 of the meat went straight into my mouth. I used 6 sweet peppers, cut in half which made 12 pieces. Since I ate some of the meat beforehand, I didn’t have any leftover meat after stuffing. The lesson I learned here is that I should not cook for the blog when hungry.
For the seasoning, grab 1 tbsp of your favorite brand. I used Caribeque‘s Island Thyme. If you use a full 1 lb of ground meat versus 12 ounces (or the 10 ounces I used if you were paying attention) then you might want to use more than 1 tablespoon of seasoning. Try 1 1/2 tablespoons to start. When it’s done cooking, don’t forget to drain the grease! No one likes greasy meat!
You don’t cook the peppers. You can if you want to but I recommend you do not. Yes, they will be crunchy but they’re ready to use after a good washing. What to add-on top? Guacamole is a given of course. I used Yucatan Guacamole. You know what I love about them? Their company website is avocado.com. How cool is that? On some of them, I dusted the top of the guacamole with The Spice Cave’s FIRE. It it s.p.i.c.y! I like spicy food but my husband not so much. I only used a little bit though and kid you not – my husband ate the entire batch. The entire 12 peppers. I’m okay with that though because I know I will be making this again soon. Other topping suggestions include: salsa, tomatoes, cilantro and cheese.
- 12-16 ounces ground meat
- 1-1/2 tbsp seasonings (I used Caribeque's Island Thyme)
- 6 sweet peppers, sliced in half
- Add ground meat and seasoning to 2-3 quart slow cooker.
- Using a spoon (wooden works well), crumble the ground meat in the slow cooker making sure the seasoning is evenly distributed.
- Cook HIGH 1-2 hours or LOW 2-4. Drain grease & let cool slightly.
- Stuff each sweet pepper with 2 teaspoons of the ground meat mixture.
- Add desired toppings (guacamole, cilantro, tomato, etc)