I’m in the process of cleaning out my frig until after Christmas so rather than buy any new groceries, I’m using what I have. Today that included a large spaghetti squash, marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms and kale. My first thought was to make a spaghetti squash casserole.
While the squash baked, I cooked the mushrooms down in a bit of oil and then added the marinara sauce, garlic, and seasonings. After the squash finished baking, I shredded it down into ‘spaghetti strands’ and added it to the sauce mixture. I’ve seen recipes that don’t add the squash until it is in the casserole dish. Call it personal preference. Don’t forget the kale like I did. It didn’t matter. I threw it in raw and at the last minute. Now it’s ready to be poured into the casserole dish.
Now the best part – the cheese. I used approximately 2 cups of mozzarella. Use whatever cheese you like; you can even sprinkle on some grated parmesan cheese before adding your layer of shredded. The seasoning you see is Caribeque’s calypso seasoning. I sprinkled that into the marinara mixture and on top of the cheese. In one of my previous blog posts I mentioned that I was partnering up with Low N’ Slow Box for the month of January. Caribeque is featured as the product of the month for my recipes. I hope you signed up for your box. If so, soon you will be getting all the non-perishable ingredients you will need for 2 delicious Caribbean recipes. Yes, the theme is Caribbean but Caribeque’s seasonings are good on just about anything. Like here on this spaghetti squash casserole.
I wanted to make this vegetarian for meatless Monday but then I found some pepperoni in the frig so I thought why not? Might as well get rid of that too. As you can see, I only had enough for half.
Sky is the limit for this. Sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, olives, pineapple…use what you like. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe.Print
- 1 medium size spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Caribeque’s calypso seasoning
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup kale
- 5 ounces pepperoni (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add oil to large saucepan. Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add marinara sauce, garlic, and seasonings. Reduce heat to low and cook 7-10 minutes. Sauce will reduce slightly.
- Shred spaghetti squash with fork and add to sauce. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add entire mixture to greased casserole dish.
- Top with cheese and more seasoning. Add pepperoni if using.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.