This chicken saltimbocca recipe is not only easy but full of flavor. Made in the slow cooker with a few simple ingredients, this recipe is low-carb, paleo, and whole30.
Cookbook recipe! This is one of the recipes included in my next cookbook, The Healthy Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook. This is the first of a few recipes from my latest cookbook that I will share here on the blog. I picked this one in particular for a few reasons: it’s the trifecta being low-carb, paleo, and whole30, it’s also one of the easier recipes since it only includes a few ingredients, and because it’s flat-out good.
Saltimbocca is Italian for “jumps in mouth” and refers to dishes in which various meats are wrapped in ham. I simplified it here and I think it’s pretty darn good. Have a few toothpicks ready to secure the prosciutto around the chicken but don’t forget to discard them before you eat.
I used Applegate prosciutto which is whole30 compliant. If you don’t care about being complaint, use your preferred brand.
You can substitute bacon for the prosciutto if you like. Wrap 1 slice of uncooked bacon around each chicken breast and secure it like you would the prosciutto. Cook time will remain the same. Notice there’s no salt? I find that between the prosciutto and capers, salt isn’t needed. But that’s just me. If you want to add salt to this, go ahead it won’t hurt. Yes, you can substitute chicken thighs. Heck you can even switch things up and use pork chops instead of chicken.
I used a large 6-quart slow cooker for this recipe but as you can see, there was plenty of extra space. A 3.5-quart slow cooker would probably been better suited. If you’re going to double this, use a 5 or 6-quart.
The Healthy Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook includes:
- Low and slow cooking 101 that offers guidance for making a low-carb diet easy, with recommendations for pantry staples and a sample meal plan.
- 100 low-carb recipes for delicious and satisfying meals that contain no more than 20 grams of carbs per serving.
- Quick prep with a max prep time of 15 minutes for no-fuss everyday meals.
Slow Cooker Chicken Saltimbocca (Low-Carb,Paleo,Whole30)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (3-ounces total)
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 3 tbsp capers
- 2 tsp rosemary
- Wrap 1 slice of prosciutto around each chicken breast and secure with a toothpick. Place the wrapped chicken into the slow cooker.
- Pour the stock/broth over the chicken. Sprinkle with capers and rosemary.
- Cook HIGH 2-3, LOW 4-6.
- Discard toothpicks before serving.
Nutritional information is included in the cookbook
I like to serve this with mashed cauliflower and a simple salad. I don’t have an Instant Pot conversion for this recipe yet but I will soon.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/