A light, homemade citrus sauce is added to the slow cooker along with chicken, potatoes and your favorite vegetables for this easy one-pot meal.
This once again uses the ‘box of heaven’ also know as Melissa’s Produce’s baby vegetables basket. I used a mixture of zucchini, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, baby potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and beets. This is another recipe that is great to shop for at your local Farmer’s Market. You really can use the vegetables that you prefer.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts but feel free to throw in any cut of chicken whether it be boneless or bone-in, skinless or skin-on, thighs, legs, etc. You can even use a whole chicken.
I did not stir this up before letting it cook for cosmetic reasons but I recommend you do so.
If you use beets like I did, the sauce will turn a dark red color (see pics below). This will also tint the cooked chicken a light pink color. PLEASE be sure the internal temperature to the chicken is 165 degrees before consuming.
- 2 lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 lb potatoes, diced
- 2 lb vegetables, chopped
- CITRUS SAUCE:
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ bunch cilantro, stems trimmed
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp honey (omit for whole 30)
- 2 tbsp evoo
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Add vegetables and potatoes to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add chicken breast on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients.
- Pour sauce over chicken, potatoes & vegetables.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.