Hamburger flavors in a stew! Not just any stew, a whole 30 compliant and paleo stew that cooks in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
After a few minor tweaks, this recipes was chosen to be included in my first cookbook, The Easy & Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook. The recipe here has been updated to match the recipe in the cookbook.
I love when a recipe comes together on the first try. I intended to make my Slow Cooker Hamburger Casserole but it’s been raining nonstop for a couple of days now (I’m not complaining, we need the rain) so I switched it up. Something about rain makes me want stew.
Another easy recipe. So easy. Chop the veggies, throw them in the slow cooker with the ground beef and seasonings. That’s it. You can use your preferred ground meat whether it be beef, pork, chicken or turkey but personally I think ground beef works best. Browning the meat is optional. If you don’t brown it, try to use a lean ground meat. I usually take the time to brown mine.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Hamburger Stew (Paleo,Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb sweet potatoes or red potatoes (I used white sweet potatoes), chopped
- 43 ounces (28 ounces plus 15 ounces) diced tomatoes in juices
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
Optional step: Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Drain grease.
- Add ground meat to the slow cooker along with all other ingredients. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hour or LOW 6-8 or until potatoes are soft.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot.
- Add ground meat, bell pepper, onion, celery,and garlic and cook until meat is browned, 3-5 minutes. Crumble the meat as it cooks. Drain fat and remove from Instant Pot if needed.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Quick release pressure.
If you’re looking for more of a soup rather than stew, all you need to do is add in 2 cups of low-sodium beef broth. Kind of looks like chili huh? If you want to call this hamburger chili so be it:-)
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.