- 3–4 pounds brisket, fat trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth or bone broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (for pressure cooker)
- Slurry thickener: 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch, 2 tablespoons water (optional)
Optional step – Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season brisket generously salt & pepper to taste. Add brisket to heated pan & cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- If you skip the browning step, season brisket generously with salt & pepper to taste. Add brisket to the slow cooker, fat side up.
- In a small bowl, mix together beef broth, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, onion powder, and pepper. Pour mixture on top of brisket.
- Cook HIGH 4-5 hours or LOW 8-10.
- Remove brisket from the slow cooker to let rest. Either cut against the grain or shred the meat.
- If you are making gravy: mix together arrowroot starch & water and pour into the slow cooker. Stir to mix well and heat an additional 5-10 minutes on HIGH or until gravy has thickened to your liking.
- Add brisket back into the slow cooker until ready to serve.
- Season brisket generously with salt & pepper to taste.
- Turn the on the pressure cooker to saute. Once hot, add oil and the brisket and sear a few minutes on both sides until browned. Remove brisket and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together broth, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, onion powder, and pepper. Pour mixture into the pressure cooker and deglaze by scraping off any browned bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon. Add brisket back into the Instant Pot, fat side up.
- Select manual setting. Adjust to high pressure & and set time for 25 minutes per pound of meat. Naturally for about 10 minutes, then quick release for remaining pressure.
- Remove brisket from the Instant Pot. Either cut against the grain or shred the meat.
- If you are making gravy: Turn the pressure cooker to saute and pour the slurry into the pressure cooker. Cook the approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Return the brisket to the Instant Pot until ready to serve.