- 2–3 lbs brisket, fat trimmed
- 1 medium-size white onion, sliced
- Salt (approx 1 – 1.5 tsp)
- Pepper (approx 1/2 – 1 tsp)
- Garlic Powder (approx 1 – 1.5 tsp)
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil (for IP)
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth or bone broth
- Slurry thickener: 3 tbsp arrowroot starch, 6 tbsp (optional)
Optional step – pan sear the brisket in 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil or ghee until browned on each side.
- Season brisket generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add brisket and onion to the slow cooker. Pour broth on top.
- Cook HIGH 4-5 hours, LOW 8-10.
- Remove brisket from the slow cooker. Mix together arrowroot starch & water and pour into the slow cooker. Stir to mix well and heat an additional 5-10 minutes on HIGH or until gravy has thickened.
- Add brisket back into the slow cooker until ready to serve.
- Season brisket generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Turn the Instant Pot saute. Once hot, add oil and the brisket and sear a few minutes on both sides until browned. Remove brisket and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook a few minutes, stirring frequently until the onion soft. Pour in broth and deglaze by scraping off any browned bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon. Add brisket back into the Instant Pot.
- Select manual setting. Adjust pressure to high, and set time for 90 minutes. Naturally for about 10 minutes, then quick release for remaining pressure.
- Remove brisket from the Instant Pot.
- Turn the instant pot/pressure cooker to “saute” and pour the slurry into the IP. Cook the gravy approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Return the brisket to the Instant Pot until ready to serve.