2 lbs chicken
1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed
1.5 to 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (see note below)
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oil (for pressure cooker)
- Add rice, broth, onion, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken on top.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, add the oil and if you’re using skin on chicken, add the chicken skin-side down and cook until the skin is lightly browned. Approximately 3-5 minutes. If you’re using boneless, skinless chicken, go straight to the next step.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook a few minutes until soft. Add the broth, and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Add the oregano, parsley, salt, pepper and brown rice. Stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken on top. Do not mix.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 22 minutes. Quick release pressure.
Optional step: If you’re using skin-on chicken and you want crisp skin, after it’s done cooking remove the chicken from the slow cooker and BROIL it in the oven. Approx 5-10 min or until crisp to your liking.
Slow Cooker – 1 cup brown rice, 2 cups broth
Pressure Cooker – 1 cup brown rice, 1.5 cups broth