A homemade french onion mix cooks with pork chops in this low-carb/keto, paleo, and whole30 slow cooker or Instant Pot recipe.
French onion is a favorite mixture of mine. I love a good French onion soup and I even have a French Onion Chicken recipe. I’m very aware that I don’t have too many pork recipes on this blog so to switch things up a bit, I’m pairing french onion flavors with pork chops! We’re not huge into pork in my household but there are certain cuts of pork I can’t resist. Pork chops are one of them. I love a good pork chop. Ribs are my all-time favorite pork cut if you curious.
I used boneless pork chops however you can use bone-in if you like; cook time remains the same. I sprinkled the dry onion mix on top first, then added the ghee and broth. Another way to do it is to mix the broth and dry soup together and then pour it on top. Ditch the store-bought dry onion packet and make your own! Below is my homemade mix:
Homemade Dry Onion Mix
2 tbsp dried chopped onion
1 tbsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
When it comes to the ghee, I’m not going to tell you how much to use. If you’re following a keto diet then obviously you would want to use more. I personally put 1/4 tsp of ghee on top of each pork chop. Nutritional facts were calculated using 2 tsp total ghee.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot French Onion Pork Chops (Low-Carb,Paleo,Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 4 pork chops (approx 3/4 – 1 lb)
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp dry onion mix (see blog post for homemade)
- 2 tsp ghee (or more)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium broth (or homemade bone broth)
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add onion to the bottom of the slow cooker. Place pork chop on top.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp dry onion mix on top of pork chops. Top with ghee. Pour broth on top.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil. When hot, add pork chops and sear both sides approximately 2-3 minutes per side. You may have to do this two at a time. Remove pork chops from IP and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-6 minutes. Pour in broth and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Stir in dry onion mix. Nestle in pork chops, making sure each piece gets wet. Top with ghee.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 5 minutes, natural release.
I used a 6-quart slow cooker and there was plenty of extra space. In retrospect, I probably should have used my smaller, 3.5-quart slow cooker.
Use code ‘SLOWCOOKER10’ for 10% off your Roo Nutrition order.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/