This post is sponsored by Farmer John®
Breakfast sausage, spinach, and cheese cook together in this easy yet flavorful breakfast casserole. Make this healthy, low-carb breakfast in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
One of the reasons I am lacking breakfast recipes on this blog is because most days, I don’t eat a proper breakfast. Like a lot of people, I made a resolution to lead a more consistent, healthier lifestyle in 2019. At the top of the list of ‘things I can immediately change’ is to eat a well-balanced breakfast every morning. Especially the days that I am going to work out. It’s not just me; the husband is currently training for a half iron man triathlon. This means he is getting up at 5:30 every morning to train and eating a lot. I need a healthy breakfast that both of us can grab on the go without a lot of fuss = breakfast casserole.
Farmer John has been my go-to for a while now. If you’ve followed me here and on social media, you’ve seen me use Farmer John a lot. Not only are they Los Angeles based (local brand yay!) but their products are high-quality, versatile, packed with protein and delicious flavor.
This sausage, spinach, and cheese breakfast casserole was an instant hit in my household. I say that because we ate the whole thing in one day. While it’s labeled breakfast casserole, you can eat this dish anytime whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. We had it for breakfast AND dinner.
If you want this casserole to be meatier, add in more sausage or even some crumbled, cooked bacon. I like to save a little bit of the sausage to use as topping/garnish along with some more cheese. You will need to brown the sausage before you add it to the egg mixture to cook. This step is regardless of if you’re using the slow cooker or Instant Pot. The real reason you’re doing this is so you can drain the grease from the meat. If you’re using your Instant Pot, you can do it directly in the base. I’m warning you, the delicious smell of sausage cooking will be hard to resist!
Not a fan of spinach? Use kale! I added in onion, bell pepper, and tomato but sky is the limit with this casserole. You can add other vegetables like diced zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, etc. I used feta cheese but you can use your preferred cheese whether it be feta, cheddar, mozzarella or swiss. Omit the cheese all together and you have a paleo and whole30 compliant breakfast casserole.
Also for the Instant Pot, you will need a baking dish that will fit inside and a trivet. Most newer models of Instant Pots will come with a trivet. If not, you can easily make your own out of aluminum foil.
If you generously grease the slow cooker or casserole dish (for Instant Pot), the breakfast casserole will not stuck when you go to take it out.
Slow Cooker Sausage, Spinach & Cheese VIDEO:
- 8 ounces FARMER JOHN® breakfast sausage links
- 8 eggs
- 2–4 tbsp fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 ounces, cheese
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 1/2 cups water (for IP)
- In a small skillet, saute sausage in oil over medium heat until browned and no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Spray slow cooker generously with cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together eggs, sausage, spinach, cheese, bell pepper, onion, tomato, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into slow cooker.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6. Cool slightly before removing.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot. Add sausage, onion, and bell pepper and cook a few minutes until sausage is browned and vegetables are soft. Turn off IP and remove the food. Drain any grease from the IP. Pour water into the base of the IP.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together eggs, sausage, onion, bell pepper, spinach, cheese, tomato, milk, salt, and pepper. Spray baking dish generously with cooking spray and pour in egg mixture. Cover with foil and place on the trivet in the IP.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 25 minutes. Natural release the pressure for 10 minutes and then quick release remaining pressure.
- Using oven mitts, remove baking dish. Cool slightly before serving.
For Instant Pot you will need:
- Trivet with handles (most new IP’s come with one)
- 1.5 to 2 quart round oven-baking dish (or one that will fit your IP)
*nutritional facts use feta cheese, almond milk, and extra-virgin olive oil
* cook time is based on slow cooker
If you’re looking for a family friendly weekend activity, join Farmer John® this Sunday, February 17th at the 41st Annual L.A. Chinatown Firecracker Run/Walk & Kiddie Run – an event to promote health, fitness and cultural awareness in the greater Los Angeles community. Farmer John® will be serving up their delicious new breakfast sausage links at the finish line. For more information and to register, visit Firecracker10k.org.
Meal prep! This breakfast casserole is a great addition to your breakfast meal prep.
Farmer John® products are available at local grocery stores including Smart & Final, Stater Brothers, Albertsons, Ralphs, and Northgate. For more product information and recipe inspiration, visit www.FarmerJohn.com. I used a 2.5-quart slow cooker but this recipe can easily be doubled to feed a larger crowd if you have a 6-quart slow cooker /or Instant Pot.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.