- 2 pounds chicken
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Handful fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon oil (for Instant Pot)
Piri Piri Sauce:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil of your choice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup of low-sodium chicken broth (Instant Pot only)
- Place sliced onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add chicken on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together piri piri sauce ingredients. Pour sauce over chicken. Top with lemon slices.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Top with fresh cilantro.
- Turn the pressure cooker to sauté. Once hot, add the oil and chicken skin-side down and sear, few minutes until browned. You might need to do this in batches depending on the cut of chicken you use. If you are using skinless chicken skip this step and add the chicken directly to the pressure cooker. Remove chicken from the pressure cooker and set aside.
- Add onion to the pot. You may need to add more oil. Cook 3-5 minutes or until onions are soft. Add chicken back to the Instant Pot on top of the onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together the piri piri sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce on top of the chicken. Top with lemon slices.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure for 10-20 minutes (depending on your cut of chicken). When done, quick release the pressure. Make sure internal temperature for the chicken is 165° Fahrenheit.
- Carefully remove the chicken. Top with fresh cilantro.
Instant Pot chicken breasts cook 10 minutes
Instant Pot chicken thighs cook 15 minutes
Instant Pot chicken quarters cook 20 minutes