Soul food ingredients and flavors enhance this chili recipe that can be made in the slow cooker or electric pressure cooker.
Updated 2020 with Instant Pot instructions
I’m combining two things I love with this recipe – soul food & chili. I’ve said this several times before – chili was made for the low & slow method of the slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
Soul Food Ingredients
Make no mistake, this is chili recipe. But I added some of my favorite soul food ingredients: pork, chicken, black-eyed peas and hot sauce. I know the combination of both pork & chicken might not work for some people. If you don’t eat red meat, use all chicken. If you can’t find ground chicken, use ground turkey. Or ground beef. You can make this recipe work for you.
What Type Of Black-Eyed Peas To Use
This recipe calls for cooked black-eyed peas so you will need to use pre-cooked, frozen, or canned peas. I used canned black-eyed peas that were drained & rinsed. If you you’re using frozen, stir them in the last 3o minutes of cook time for the slow cooker or at the end if you’re using the pressure cooker.
Serving & Storing The Chili
Topping suggestions for this chili include cheese, sour cream, green onions, or chopped herbs. Store the leftover chili in the frig for up to 3 days or the freezer for 4-6 months.
Other chili recipes you might enjoy:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb ground pork
- 15 ounces cooked black-eyed peas
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
Optional but recommended step: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken & ground pork and cook 3-5 minutes, (crumbling the meat as it cooks) until no longer pink. Drain excess grease before adding the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
Electric Pressure Cooker
- Turn on the pressure cooker and select Sauté. Once hot add oil, ground chicken, ground pork, and diced onion to the pot. Cook 5-7 minutes, crumbling the ground meat as it cooks. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. You might need to do this in batches. Drain fat excess grease if needed.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, hot sauce, chili powder, salt, paprika, thyme, pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder.
- Pour diced tomatoes & tomato sauce on top. Do not stir.
- Close lid and seal valve. Cook high pressure for 20 minutes. Natural release pressure for 5 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure. Stir before serving.
The chili will thicken as it cools
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.