Your favorite taco flavors in a chili! Using simple ingredients including a homemade seasoning, this slow cooker or Instant Pot recipe is easy & healthy.
Updated 2018 with IP instructions
This is another super easy slow cooker recipe. You literally just dump everything in, stir and it’s good to go. I kept this version simple so think of it as a base to get you started. I encourage you to add extra ingredients to your liking. One suggestion is to load up on some vegetables. Sometimes I use bell peppers, sometimes I don’t. For the meat, you can use ground beef, turkey, chicken or pork. I browned my ground meat prior to adding it to the slow cooker so I could drain the excess grease. If you use a meat lean enough, you don’t need to do this.
This uses my homemade taco seasoning. You can use a packet if you want. HOWEVER making your own taco seasoning blend is super easy and a heck of a lot healthier. Without preaching here, if you are going to use a store-bought packet, take a look at the amount of sodium that it contains. Still want to use it? If so, that’s okay! Occasionally when I’m crunched for time I will grab a packet too. It’s not going to kill you. That being said, I bet you already have all the spices to make your own blend. I use this seasoning all the time. It’s equivalent to 1 package of store-bought.
You can easily turn this into a healthy slow cooker taco soup recipe by adding 2 cups of low-sodium broth. This is also a great freezer meal. You can also double this recipe if you’re feeding a larger crowd.
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Taco Chili
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 small onion, diced
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces corn, drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 or LOW 4-6.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil.
- Add ground meat and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks. You might need to do this in batches. Drain fat and remove from Instant Pot.
- Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in meat and all remaining ingredients, close and seal vent.
- Select manual setting and set time for 20 minutes. Quick-release pressure when cook time is completed.
Toppings – sky is the limit! Suggestions include: cheese, jalapeno, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/