- 2–3 pounds chicken
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 2–4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (see below)
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tbsp oil (for pressure cooker)
- Add rice, broth, golden raisins, onion, curry powder, cardamom, salt, pepper, paprika, and ginger to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken on top.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, add the oil and if you’re using skin on chicken, add the chicken skin-side down and cook until the skin is lightly browned. Approximately 3-5 minutes. If you’re using boneless, skinless chicken, go straight to the next step.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook a few minutes until soft. Add the broth, and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Add the curry powder, cardamom, salt, pepper, paprika, ginger, brown rice. Stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken on top. Do not mix.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 23 minutes. Quick release pressure.
Slow Cooker – 2 cups brown rice, 4 cups broth
Pressure Cooker – 2 cups brown rice, 2.5 cups broth