- 3 pounds oxtails
- 28 ounces crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil (for pressure cooker)
- Rinse & pat dry oxtails. Season oxtails generously with salt & pepper to taste
- Add oxtails to the slow cooker. Add carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper on top of oxtails. Pour on balsamic vinegar & crushed or diced tomatoes.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Turn on the pressure cooker and select sauté. Once hot, add oil and the seasoned oxtails to the pot. Cook 2-4 minutes on each side or on until oxtails are evenly browned. You may have to do this in batches. Remove oxtails.
- Add carrots and onions. Cook 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic & cook an additional minute. Pour in balsamic vinegar & deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Add oxtails back to the pressure cooker. Pour tomatoes on top.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure for 40 minutes. When done cooking, let the Instant Pot naturally release the pressure.