- 2 pounds beef cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 lb potatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/3 cup red kidney beans, cooked
- 1/3 cup dried great northern beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1–2 cups water (if needed)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2–4 eggs (optional)
- Add potatoes and onions to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add beef on top of the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle salt and pepper top of the beef.
- Scatter the pearl barley and the beans on top of beef. Pour broth on top of all the food.
- Top with paprika and honey.
- If all the food isn’t covered in liquid, add enough water until all ingredients are fully covered.
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary.
*For those who observe Shabbat, do not stir or add more water during the cooking.