Caribbean chicken curry is a simple recipe but packed with flavor. Low-carb, paleo, and whole30, make this in your slow cooker meal or Instant Pot.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instruction
This Caribbean chicken curry is another trifecta recipe meaning it’s not just low-carb but also paleo and whole30. The slow cooker version of this easy curry chicken recipe first appeared in my 3rd cookbook, The Healthy Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook.
The Healthy Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook includes:
- Low and slow cooking 101 that offers guidance for making a low-carb diet easy, with recommendations for pantry staples and a sample meal plan.
- 100 low-carb recipes for delicious and satisfying meals that contain no more than 20 grams of carbs per serving.
- Quick prep with a max prep time of 15 minutes for no-fuss everyday meals.
What Kind Of Chicken To Use
This recipe is really meant to be used with dark meat. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You can use your preferred kind of chicken thighs whether it be bone-in, boneless, skin-on, skinless, thighs or even legs. If you really want to use chicken breasts then reduce the cook time by a few hours; white meat cooks fast in the slow cooker so it’s very easy to overcook it.
Coconut Milk & Modifications
For the slow cooker version, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of coconut milk but for the pressure cooker you will need 1 full cup (in order for it to pressurize). If you think you might want more sauce with the slow cooker version, yes you can use a full cup there as well but trust me, it works with just 1/2 cup. It might not seem like enough liquid but it is. To make this recipe keto-friendly, use heavy whipping cream instead of coconut milk and add a tablespoon of ghee or butter.
For my Caribbean pepper, I used a scotch bonnet.
Instant Pot Caribbean Chicken Curry VIDEO:
- 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper or your favorite Caribbean pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk for slow cooker, 1 cup for pressure cooker
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3–4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot.
- Add onion and pepper and cook a few minutes until soft. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Turn off pressure cooker and add curry powder, salt, allspice, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Pour in coconut milk. Deglaze the bottom by of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off off with a wooden spoon. Stir to mix well.
- Add chicken and stir until completely covered.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure, 9 minutes. Quick release pressure.
I like to serve this over riced or mashed cauliflower. If you’re not following a particular diet, you can serve this over white or brown rice.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/