Chicken & artichokes cook in a homemade lemon sauce in this easy slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) recipe.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
The sauce for this chicken & artichokes recipe is a simple, light sauce. Za’atar is listed as an optional ingredient in this recipe because I know most of you won’t have it. But if you can find it (relatively cheap) then definitely buy it and add it in. How much broth you use will depend on if you’re using the slow cooker or electric pressure cooker. If you’re using the slow cooker, I know the sauce won’t look like it’s enough sauce for all the food when it starts to cook but trust me it is. There will be plenty of liquid in the slow cooker once it’s done cooking.
What Chicken To Use
What you see here in the pictures is 2 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are my go-to with slow cooking or pressure cooking but I understand that’s not the case for everyone. As with a lot of my recipes, you can use your favorite cut of chicken with this recipe whether it be legs, thighs, or even breasts. If you do use white meat, you will need to make adjustments to the cook time. Lower the cook time by at least an hour for the slow cooker and 2 minutes for the Instant Pot (pressure cooker). If you use boneless, skinless meat with the Instant Pot, you do not have to take the time to saute it first. Just add it to the pressure cooker raw.
What Type Of Artichokes To Use
I’ve used every sort of artichoke when making this: fresh, canned, marinated, frozen, etc. They all cook very well except fresh artichokes. Personally I think plain artichokes from the can or marinated artichokes from the jar (with or without juices) works the best with this recipe. Canned, which I used for these pics are good and probably the easiest to find. I usually use canned artichokes that I drain & rinse. When I use marinated artichokes I like to add the juice in.
Broiling The Chicken
If you use skin-on chicken, when it’s done cooking, I suggest you remove it from the appliance and place it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the skin. This is an optional but recommended step.
There will be plenty of artichoke/lemon sauce in the slow cooker or pressure cooker. To serve, top the chicken with the artichoke sauce.
Other chicken recipes you might enjoy:
- 2 lbs chicken cut of your choice
- 15 ounces artichokes
- 1 medium-size onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 tbsp oil (for pressure cooker)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 /4 cup for slow cooker, 1/2 cup for electric pressure cooker low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp za’atar (optional)
- Add the sliced onion to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the chicken on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Pour sauce in to the slow cooker, wetting all the ingredients. Top with lemon slices.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 or LOW 6-8.
- Add artichokes. Cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, add the oil and chicken and sear, few minutes on each side until browned. Remove chicken from the pressure cooker.
- Add onions (and more oil if needed) and cook 3-5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and cook an additional minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce into the pressure cooker and deglaze the bottom by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Add chicken back into the Instant Pot. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 10 minutes. Quick release pressure.
- Add artichokes. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 3 minutes. Quick release pressure.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/