Garlic Parmesan chicken & potatoes is an easy yet comforting dish that the entire family will enjoy. Make this meal in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
No, this is not low-carb, paleo, or whole30. But from the reaction of my followers when I made this on social media, I don’t think you’ll care. If you saw me make this on social media months ago, thank you for your patience. This was a popular one that took longer than I expected to get posted here on the blog. After 3 rounds of recipe testing, I almost gave up but I’m glad I didn’t. Having made this several different ways, I ultimately went with casserole form of garlic Parmesan chicken & potatoes. But you can make this many different ways. I’ll break it down for you…
My personal preferred way to make this is the way you see it here in the pics and video – using boneless, skinless chicken breasts. However you can actually use your preferred cut of chicken whether it be boneless or bone-in, breasts, thighs, legs, or a combination legs & thighs. I know this because I made this recipe using all of those cuts as well. If you use dark meat, add an additional hour or so to the cook time because dark meat takes longer to cook than white meat.
If you choose to use skin-on chicken, you may want to brown the chicken in a skillet before adding it to the slow cooker. This is an optional step of course, you can throw it in there raw. If you’re looking for crispy skin, after the chicken is done cooking, you can remove it from the slow cooker or Instant Pot and place it under your oven’s broiler for a few minutes. Again, also optional.
Waxy potatoes always work best for slow cooking because they hold their shape better than other forms of potatoes. Having said that, like most of my recipes, I encourage you to use the ingredients you have & like. Meaning, you can use your preferred potato whether it be a waxy potato like red or yellow, russet potato, sweet potato, etc. If you use non-waxy potatoes like russet or sweet potatoes, I suggest you cut them into larger chunks than you usually would. This will help them hold their shape during the cooking process and not turn mushy on you.
I used a combination of grated and shredded Parmesan. How much Parmesan to use is debatable in my household. This too went through many trials and I finally settled on 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan mixed in and the shredded Parmesan added the last few minutes of cook time. Don’t have shredded Parmesan? Use all grated. If you have shaved Parmesan, use that. You have some leeway here to make this recipe work for you.
Minced garlic is in almost every single recipe that I post. I go through garlic probably more than any other ingredient. Since I used full tbsp of garlic powder, I used a little less raw garlic than I normally would. If you like your food really garlicky, add an additional clove or two of minced garlic to the recipe.
Other garlicky recipes you might enjoy:Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken & Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth (for IP)
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT the shredded Parmesan cheese to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Top with shredded Parmesan cheese and cook an additional 10-20 minutes until melted.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Once the IP is hot, add the oil & chicken and cook a few minutes on each side until slightly browned.
- Add potatoes and all other ingredients EXCEPT the shredded Parmesan. Be sure to include the chicken broth. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 8 minutes (make sure internal temperature for the chicken is 165° Fahrenheit). Quick release pressure.
- Top with shredded Parmesan cheese. Cook on WARM until cheese is melted.
I like to serve this garlic Parmesan chicken & potatoes with a simple salad or side of green vegetables.
Need a homemade Italian seasoning? Use this:
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/