Garlic and herbs season beef shanks in this easy, comforting recipe. Make this low-carb, paleo, and whole30 meal in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Beef shanks are a cut of beef that I love but don’t cook often. This is only the 2nd beef shank recipe here on the blog with the other being my osso buco with zoodles. There will definitely be more in the future because this was a hit in my household.
I left the herb part generic on purpose. I used rosemary but as always I encourage you to use your preferred ingredients. Don’t like rosemary? Use thyme! Or basil, parsley, etc. Same concept goes with the garlic. I went fairly conservative with 1 garlic clove. You can make this as garlicky as you like.
I used my stove-top browning slow cooker which allows you to brown/sear directly in the slow cooker base. It makes it easy to sear meat beforehand I did so. But it’s an optional step with slow cooking. Don’t ever let someone say that you have to do this. The only reason I like to brown my ground meat before adding it to the slow cooker is so I can drain the grease. The point is, I seared my meat before adding it to the slow cooker but you do not have to.
Cook your beef until is shreds easily with a fork. If the beef shank isn’t tender to that point, keep cooking it. Make this recipe more keto friendly by adding ghee on top of the beef shanks before they cook.Print
- 2 lbs beef shanks
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary (or your favorite herb)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Season beef shanks with salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder & onion powder. Add to the slow cooker.
- Pour broth & garlic on top.
- Cook high 4-5 hours or low 8-10.
- Season beef shanks with salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder & onion powder.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot. Add the beef and sear until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. You might have to do this in batches.
- Add the bone broth & garlic to the IP. Stir to mix.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. Natural release pressure for 15 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
I served this with mashed cauliflower and a simple salad.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.