A light, homemade lemon-pepper sauce slow cooks with wings for this healthy game day appetizer. This recipe is whole 30 compliant, paleo and a crowd pleaser.
Wings are as stable for fall sports but they don’t have to be unhealthy. This wings recipe is paleo, whole30-compliant and best – really easy to make. I use a lot of lemons if you can’t tell by this being the 2nd back-to-back post with lemon as the main ingredient. I’m still working through my organic bag of fruits and vegetables from Melissa’s Produce. I was looking at my Slow Cooker Lemon-Pepper Chicken recipe and thought it would be perfect to re-work for chicken wings. I was right! Please note the recipe in this post is a modified version of the original recipe. You can however use my original lemon-pepper chicken recipe with the brown rice. All you’ll need to do is swap out the chicken legs for wings.
I broil my wings beforehand. I know this is not a common practice and of course you can broil yours after they’re done in the slow cooker or not at all if you prefer. Why beforehand? My wings are usually so tender when they’re done cooking that they fall apart when I go to take them out the slow cooker. If you broil them before, they’ll hold a little better. If you’re going to do this, don’t broil them too long. Just 3-5 minutes or so on each side. You don’t want to flat-out cook the wings. The wings will definitely not be as crisp as they would be if you were to broil them afterwards. So if you like you’re wings crisp definitely stick with what you know and post-broil.
If you use water for your base you might want to add a teaspoon or more lemon juice since it won’t be as flavorful as the broth. Also if you don’t have ghee then don’t use butter as a substitute. Just leave it out.
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 cup homemade bone broth or low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 1½ tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ tsp ghee
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Place chicken in the slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together low-sodium chicken broth, lemon juice and rind, black pepper, garlic, ghee, and paprika.
- Pour on top of wings. Add lemon slices on top of the chicken.
- Cook HIGH 2.5-3 hours or low 4-6.
- You will know the chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165° Fahrenheit.
- Optional step for crisp skin: Turn on your broiler. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from slow cooker and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil chicken 3-5 min, flip and broil a few minutes more. I suggest you watch the chicken so you don't burn it.