One of the most popular dishes for St. Patrick’s Day, this low-carb, pressure cooker version of corned beef and cabbage is not only healthy but super easy too.
slow cooker instructions listed below
I know everyone is saying this but I cannot believe St. Patrick’s Day is this upcoming weekend. My slow cooker/pressure cooker corned beef & cabbage recipe is one of my most popular recipes in March so I figured I would update my corned beef recipe for the Instant Pot (the brand of pressure cooker that I use). I then took it one step further and removed the potatoes for a nice low-carb recipe.
I always buy my corned beef with a spice packet but that’s just me. If you don’t want to use the spice packet that came with the corned beef, you can use your preferred homemade spice bracket or you can omit it all together.
You can make this corned beef & cabbage a couple different ways. What you see here in the pictures and video is the way of adding the corned beef brisket on top of a trivet/wire rack that’s placed inside the pressure and removing the beef while the cabbage and carrots cook. You don’t have to do it this way. My other way is what I call the ‘lazy’ way and it works just fine. The lazy way to make this corned beef & cabbage in your instant pot is to add the beef directly to the base of the pressure cooker and once it’s done cooking, add the cabbage and carrots directly on top on top of the meat. Instructions for both ways are included below in the recipe box. I chalk it up to personal preference.
I used a small 2 pound corned beef but my large 6-quart Instant Pot could have definitely held more. According to the Instant Pot website, a 2 pound corned beef brisket should cook for 70 minutes with 15 minute natural release for 2 pounds. I cooked mine for 65 minutes with a 10 minute natural release and it came out perfect. Your brisket might need longer than 75 minutes. A lot of factors contribute to the varying times like the cut of meat, how much water you’re using etc. If your meat isn’t tender to the touch after cook time is done, continue to cook it in 5-10 minute increments until it is. You might have to cut your beef to make it fit into the pressure cooker. That’s okay, do what you gotta do, it won’t hurt the beef.
I also used a rather small head of cabbage. We’re not cabbage people in my household so I didn’t want a lot of cabbage going to waste. Cabbage will reduce as it cooks so feel free to use a large heard of cabbage.
Instant Pot Low-Carb Corned Beef & Cabbage VIDEO:
Looking for other St. Patrick’s Day recipes? Check these out:Print
Instant Pot Low-Carb Corned Beef & Cabbage (Paleo, Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- 2–3 lb corned beef brisket WITH spice packet
- 1 small to medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 4–6 cups water
- Add trivet or wire rack to pressure cooker and place corned beef brisket on top, fat side UP.
- Add enough water to cover the corned beef. Approximately 6 cups.
- Add spice packet, garlic, and onion on top of corned beef. Close and seal vent. Select manual setting and set time for 65 minutes. Natural release pressure 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Remove corned beef and add cabbage and carrots on top. Add lid, close and seal vent. Select manual setting and set time for 3 minutes. Quick release pressure and serve.
Option 2 (lazy way):
- Place the brisket directly in the bottom of the pressure cooker, fat side UP. Add enough water to cover the corned beef, approximately 4 cups.
- Add spice packet, garlic, and onion on top of corned beef. Close and seal vent. Select manual setting and set time for 65 minutes. Quick release pressure.
- Open pressure cooker and add cabbage and carrots on top of corned beef. Close and seal vent. Select manual setting and set time for 3 minutes. Quick release pressure and serve.
To make this in the slow cooker:
- Add carrots, garlic, and onion to bottom of slow cooker.
- Add corned beef brisket on top.
- Pour water on top of all the food. Sprinkle spice packet on top of meat and vegetables.
- Cook HIGH 4-6 hours or LOW 8-12.
- Add cabbage and cook an 30-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
You will need a large Instant Pot for this recipe.
Looking for a corned beef & cabbage WITH potatoes? Check out my traditional slow cooker/pressure cooker corned beef & cabbage recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.