Osso buco slow cooks in a homemade tomato sauce in this healthy spin on a classic comfort food. Add zoodles to this whole30, paleo & low-carb one-pot meal.
Osso buco means “bone with a hole” in Italian. If you look at the meat, you’ll see it’s a literal reference to the marrow hole at the centre of the shank. While traditionally osso buco is made with veal, I used beef. Finding veal was turning into a bit of a project so I abandoned the idea and went with beef. To be honest, I’m not much of a veal person anyway.
Whole30, paleo, low-carb – another trifecta recipe for you. If you usually think of osso buco as a winter-time comfort food, I hope this changes your mind. The addition of zoodles at the end is an easy way to lighten up this dish.
2 pounds of osso buco meant 2 large shanks for me. I did take the time to sear my meat but only because it’s super convenient with my slow cooker that allows you to brown directly in the base on the stove top. Browning the meat beforehand is an optional step. If you don’t take the to do it, don’t worry.
This osso buco should be very tender when it’s done cooking. So tender it shreds easily with a fork. Keep cooking it until it shreds easily, trust me.
However long you cook your zoodles will all depend on how you like your zoodles cooked. Personally I like my zoodles on the super soft side so I cook the full 30 minutes. If you like yours al dente, take them out after 15 minutes.Print
Slow Cooker Osso Buco with Zoodles (Paleo,Whole30,Low-Carb)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lbs osso bucco shanks
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini (about 2 medium), zoodles
- 1 small onion, diced or 1 tbsp dried chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Flavor God’s Italian Zest or Italian seasoning (see blog post)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
Optional step: heat oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add seasoned beef to the skillet and sear the meat for a few minutes on each side. You might have to do this in batches.
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the meat and the zucchini zoodles to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Season osso buco generously with Italian seasoning. Nestle the osso buco shanks in the slow cooker.
- Cook high 4-5 hours, low 8-10.
- Add zoodles & cook an additional 15-30 minutes or until done to your liking.
I used Flavor God’s Italian Zest for my seasoning but if you don’t have that, you can use your generic Italian seasoning.
Looking for an Italian seasoning? Use this:
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on one of the product links, I’ll might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see heres: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.