Brisket was made for slow cooking! This healthy paleo, whole30, and low-carb brisket can be made in your slow cooker or your Instant Pot.
Healthy comfort food. That’s how I think of this recipe. It’s finally officially autumn so while I slow cook year-round, most people are just bringing out their slow cookers now. This recipe one is what I call a trifecta recipe because it’s paleo, whole30, and low carb.
Brisket is a tough meat so it’s perfect for the low and slow cooking method of the slow cooker. The gravy is simple but flavorful. If the gravy looks familiar, it’s because the recipe is similar to the gravy recipe used in my Slow Cooker Beef Tips & Gravy .
I chose to pan sear my brisket before adding it to the slow cooker. This is a recommended but optional step. To thicken the gravy up, you’ll need to use a thickening agent. I like arrowroot starch because it’s paleo/whole30 compliant, easy to find, and doesn’t leave a chalky taste. You can use your preferred thickening agent, depending on your dietary needs.
Cook your brisket until it’s so tender it shreds easily with a fork. I like to serve my brisket shredded but you can also cut the brisket the traditional way which is against the grain.
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Brisket with Gravy (Paleo,Whole30,Low-Carb)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: serves 4
- 2-3 lbs brisket, fat trimmed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Slurry thickener: 3 tbsp arrowroot starch, 6 tbsp water
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth or bone broth
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Optional step – pan sear the brisket in 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil or ghee until browned on each side.
- Add brisket and onion to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Pour sauce on top of brisket.
- Cook HIGH 4-5 hours, LOW 8-10.
- Remove brisket from the slow cooker. Mix together arrowroot starch & water and pour into the slow cooker. Stir to mix well and heat an additional 5-10 minutes on HIGH or until gravy has thickened.
- Add brisket back into the slow cooker until ready to serve.
- Turn the Instant Pot saute and oil. Once hot, add the brisket and sear a few minutes on both sides until browned. Remove brisket and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook a few minutes until soft. Mix together ‘gravy’ ingredients and pour into the Instant Pot, scraping off any browned bits from the bottom. Add brisket back into the Instant Pot.
- Select manual setting. Adjust pressure to high, and set time for 90 minutes. Naturally for about 10 minutes, then quick release for remaining pressure.
- Remove brisket from the Instant Pot.
- Turn the instant pot/pressure cooker to “saute” and pour the slurry into the. Cook the gravy approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Return the brisket to the Instant Pot until ready to serve.
Whether you shred or slice, place the brisket back into the slow cooker until ready to serve.
To keep my meal low-carb, I served my brisket with mashed cauliflower and a nice simple salad.