Making Korean style beef short ribs in the slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) produces tender, falling apart meat that’s full of flavor.
Updated 2020 with Instant Pot instructions
This recipe went through a lot of testing and it still might be tweaked over time but I’m finally happy with it to where I feel comfortable posting it. The trifecta. That’s what I call my recipes that are low-carb, paleo, and whole30 compliant. It was important to me that this recipe be the trifecta but also not lacking in flavor.
What Are Short Ribs
Beef short ribs are a cut of beef taken from the brisket, chuck, plate, or rib areas of beef. The cut is literally the short section of the rib bone, hence where it gets its name: short ribs. Short ribs can be bought in different sizes: some are cut thin, some thick, some with bones, some with bones removes. You can use bone-in or boneless short ribs for this recipe. I like to use bone-in short ribs, particularly when I make this in the slow cooker. Bone-in short ribs are pretty foolproof and can withstand the longer cook time better than boneless. If you use boneless short ribs, lower the cook time in the slow cooker by at least 30 minutes and the electric pressure cooker by 5 minutes.
Homemade Korean Style Sauce
This recipe is all about the sauce which is also the trifecta. After a few rounds of recipe testing, I realized that less ingredients was better. As you’re making the sauce, give it a taste. If you think it needs more salt, add more salt. Want more ginger? Use more. You see where I’m going here right? I know it won’t look like there’s enough sauce when it’s ready to start cook because the meat won’t fully be submerged. Trust me, it’s enough sauce.
Other Asian inspired recipes you might enjoy:
What To Serve This With
What you will want to serve these short ribs with will depend on your dietary restrictions. For low-carb, keto, paleo, and whole30 I suggest cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower like you see here. I intended on eating this with cauliflower rice but I over-processed the cauliflower so I ended up with mashed. Regular white or brown rice are also excellent options.
Slow Cooker Korean Style Short Ribs VIDEO:
- 3–4 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (for pressure cooker)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Add short ribs to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce on top of the short ribs
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Garnish with sesame seeds & green onions.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the pot. Add the short ribs and sear on all sides, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the sauce ingredients to the pressure cooker. Stir to mix well. If needed, deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon. Add the short ribs back into the pressure cooker.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set manual (high) pressure to 40. When done cooking, quick release the pressure.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on one of the product links, I’ll might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see heres: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.