Tex-Mex flavors & ingredients are thrown together for this easy beef soup recipe. Make this Mexican inspired soup in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2020 with Instant Pot instructions
Since I’m here updating this recipe with electric pressure cooker instructions (Instant Pot), I’m also updating the name. It was previously titles Carne Asada Soup but in retrospect, I have no idea why I named it that. It doesn’t use carne asada meat or flavors at all. I’m changing the name to Tex-Mex Beef Soup. That’s really all it is – beef soup using my favorite Tex-Mex flavors.
What is Tex-Mex?
Tex-Mex is a cuisine is also known as Mexican American cuisine, made famous from Tejanos from Texas. It’s popular in American/Mexico border states, particularly Texas. While I wanted this recipe to be very simple, I still wanted it to use ingredients that are associated with Tex-Mex cuisine. I strayed from my usual low-carb, paleo recipe structure for this soup because I wanted it to include these two ingredients: corn & black beans. Corn (maíz) is one of the most commonly used ingredients in Tex-Mex cooking. It’s used in everything from tortillas, tamales, to drinks. Black beans (frijoles negros), you’ll find as an accompaniments to most main dishes. I used canned black beans and canned corn that I drained and rinsed first. Yes, you can use frozen corn, no need to change the recipe if you do. If you use dry black beans, you will need to pre-soak them first but otherwise no change to the recipe.
What Type Of Beef To Use
I like to use sirloin. Other suggestions are flank, top round, chuck, or even brisket. If you’re using a tougher cut like brisket, cut it into 1/2-inch size pieces to help it cook-to-tender faster.
Other TexMex recipes you might enjoy:
Garnish this Tex-Mex beef soup with your favorite toppings such as fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro, cheese, jalapeño, sour cream…the sky is the limit.
Instant Pot Tex-Mex Beef Soup VIDEO:
- 2 pounds beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces corn, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounces black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more if you want)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil (for pressure cooker)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn on the pressure cooker and select sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot. Add the beef and sear until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove the beef from the pressure cooker and set aside.
- Add bell pepper and onion and cook 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add broth and diced tomates. If needed, de-glaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beef back into the pressure cooker along with all remaining ingredients.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set SOUP or high pressure for 20 minutes. Natural release pressure for 5 minutes then quick release remaining.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.