Coconut & cilantro cook with chicken in this simple & healthy slow cooker meal. Thai-inspired, this is an easy yet flavorful dish the entire family will enjoy.
This is one of the first recipes I posted to my Instagram page when I started it back in April 2015. I’m kicking myself that it took me so long to re-make this. It’s one of those recipes I LOVE but I forgot about. If you can’t find or don’t like light coconut milk you can definitely use full-fat. The spice rub for this is pretty simple; you probably have all the seasonings in your pantry already. If you want to walk on the wild side, stuff some of the rub underneath the skin on the breast before you add it to the crock-pot.
What kick started my memory of this recipe is the insane amount of cilantro that I bought. I have about 5 bunches in my frig at the moment. What can I say, I’m a sucker for a good sale. For this recipe I used about half of one bunch of cilantro maybe a little more.
This will be very tender when you go remove it from the slow cooker. It will probably fall apart on you. I use two large spoons to remove it. Getting the meat off the bones should be very easy. It should just fall right off. I like to put the meat back in the juices until I’m ready to serve it.
Did I mention this is both whole30 and paleo??Print
Slow Cooker Coconut-Cilantro Chicken (Paleo/Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 2 15 ounce cans light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp curry
- Juice of 1 lime (approx 2 tbsp)
- Pepper to taste
- Pour both cans of coconut milk and lime juice into the slow cooker. Stir.
- In a small bowl, mix together ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, curry, garlic powder and pepper.
- Generously season the chicken with the spice mix and add to the slow cooker.
- Top with fresh cilantro.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Carefully remove chicken from slow cooker onto a large plate.
- Remove chicken off the bones and put the meat back in the slow cooker until ready to serve.
I served this over couscous. Other suggestions are cauliflower rice, zoodles, brown rice, in a tortilla or even over a bed of your favorite greens (kale, spinach, lettuce).
You don’t have to use a whole chicken. This is great made with 4-5 chicken thighs as well. Perfect for meal prep!