This easy vegetarian curry is simple but full of flavor. Using Indian-inspired spices, you can make this vegan curry in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
I’ve made several different variations of this recipe of the years but this is the one I use the most. The ingredients are simple and I usually have them all on hand in the house. For the garbanzo beans/chickpeas (same thing), I used canned that I drained and rinsed. If you want to use dry beans, you will need to pre-soak them for 24 hours beforehand.
I know the best thing about slow cooker meals is the set-it-and-forget-it factor until you’re ready to serve. Hence why I try to stay away from two-part slow cooker recipes. So for this one, if you don’t have time to add the peas and tomatoes during the last 30 minutes of cook time then just add them at the beginning with the rest of the ingredients.
For the potatoes, I used white sweet potatoes. You can use your preferred potato in this recipe. Waxy potatoes like red or yellow potatoes work well in the slow cooker because they hold their shape well. I use 1/2 cup of coconut milk but if you want a more saucy curry, then you can use a full cup. If you find that your curry comes out dry or overcooked, try adding in more coconut milk. If you run out of coconut milk, don’t fret add almond milk or even water.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Vegetarian Curry (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (1 full cup for pressure cooker)
- 1/2 lb potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb. tomatoes, diced or sliced (I used sliced cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ghee (optional, omit for vegan)
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT peas & tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 1-2 hours or LOW 3-4 hours.
- Stir in peas and tomatoes and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting.
- Once hot add oil & onion and saute a few minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, curry, ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander, and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute stirring frequently.
- Add coconut milk and using a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it. Make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, potatoes, and tomatoes. Close and seal vent. Select high pressure for 25 minutes. Quick release pressure.
- Stir in frozen peas and cook and additional 5-10 minutes on WARM.
You’ll know this is done when the potatoes are soft. My favorite garnish for this is fresh cilantro.
If you want to add meat, you can. Occasionally when I make this recipe, I’ll throw in some meat; usually ground chicken or ground turkey. If you use ground meat, I suggest you brown the meat in the skillet prior to adding it to the slow cooker. The cook time will remain the same. You can add up to 1 pound of the meat of your choice whether it be beef, chicken, pork, etc.
I used a 3.5-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/, https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/affiliates