With minimal prep, this recipe produces succulent Thai-flavored shredded chicken. Make this recipe in your slow cooker or pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
Anyone else love Thai food? It’s seriously one of my favorite cuisines. This recipe uses Thai flavors but it’s also very simple. You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry. If not, you should be able to easily find them at your local grocery store.
Chicken Breasts or Thighs
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts but you can also use thighs with this recipe as well. I have made this recipe both ways and I can honestly say I don’t have a preference. They’re both good:-) Yes you can use bone-in chicken but I find it easier to shred boneless, skinless chicken. If you don’t plan on shredding the chicken you can use bone-in, skin-on.
Other coconut recipes you might enjoy:
How To Serve This Chicken
This Thai shredded chicken can seriously be used in so many different ways. It’s great alone, served in lettuce wraps (or tortillas), with or in a salad, or my favorite way which is to serve it with cauliflower rice (or regular rice).
Slow Cooker Thai Shredded Chicken VIDEO:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil (for IP)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-4 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Shred chicken.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot.
- Add red onion and garlic and cook a few minutes until the onion is soft.
- Pour in the coconut milk. Deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 9 minutes. Quick release pressure
- Shred chicken.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/