Beef bourguignon is a classic, French stew recipe. This whole30 (paleo option) beef bourguignon recipe can be made in your Instant Pot or slow cooker.
Beef bourguignon is a classic French dish traditionally in which beef cooks with red wine. I really wanted to make this version as healthy as I could and have it be whole30 and paleo compliant so I used bone (or beef) broth instead of wine.
It’s officially October which a lot of people refer to as CROCKTOBER. I, of course, use my slow cooker year-round so every month is slow cooker month in my opinion. This beef bourguignon is a hearty recipe with potatoes and chunks of beef. I used a combination of baby red and yellow potatoes. To make this paleo, use sweet potatoes instead of potatoes. To make this low-carb, omit the potatoes all together.
For the beef I used stew meat but other options are chuck, brisket, or rump roast, cut into chunks. I browned my meat before adding it to the slow cooker. This is a recommended but optional step.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon (Paleo,Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 2-3 lbs beef stew meat
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 1/3 lb low-sodium bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT the parsley to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4, LOW 6-8..
- Garnish with fresh parsley
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once Hot add oil to the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, cook the beef in batches until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side.
Remove beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add the beef back to the pot with the remaining ingredients except the parsley. Stir to mix well. Make sure you don’t go over the max line of your pot.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. Natural release pressure for 10 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
Cook time calculated for slow cooker.
If this stew looks familiar, it’s because it appeared in my second cookbook, The Low-Sodium Slow Cooker Cookbook . Since it’s a low-sodium recipe, if you feel like you need to add more salt, by all means please do so. Personally I don’t think it needs it but that’s just me. This cookbook recipe references a low-sodium bone broth recipe also in the cookbook. Of course you can substitute reduced sodium beef broth if you don’t want to make your own bone broth.
Slow cooker or Instant Pot – which appliance will you cook this in?
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.