It’s not St. Patrick’s Day without shepherd’s pie. This low-carb slow cooker version of the Irish classic is not just healthy (paleo, whole30) but easy too.
There are a lot of different versions of ‘traditional’ shepherd’s pie. To me, this is one of those recipes that you should tweak to your liking or dietary need. I recommend using ground lamb if you can get your hands on some. If not, ground beef will do just fine. Don’t like thyme? Use rosemary. Don’t eat red meat? Use ground turkey. Technically if you use meat outside of mutton or lamb then it’s cottage pie not shepherd’s pie. But it still tastes good so who cares. Since peas are not whole30 or paleo, I used diced zucchini!
While this is a relatively easy dish to make in the slow cooker, it is a 2-part recipe. The mashed cauliflower is added during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
You can also swap out mashed cauliflower for mashed sweet potatoes or a mixture of the two. My husband doesn’t care for mashed cauliflower because they’re a tad ‘too runny’ for him. A great way to thicken up ‘runny’ cauliflower is to mix in a sweet potato or potato depending on your dietary needs.
Since there’s no cheese and it’s not cooked in the oven, don’t be surprised if your mashed topping doesn’t crisp on top like you’re used to with a regular shepherd’s pie.Print
- 1 lb lamb (ground or chopped)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 lb zucchini, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2–3 tbsp almond milk (or more)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Brown ground lamb in a skillet over medium heat. Drain grease.
- Add browned ground lamb and all other ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Cook cauliflower using your preferred method until tender.
- Add cauliflower, ghee, almond milk, salt and pepper to a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth, adding more almond milk if necessary.
- Pour mashed cauliflower on top of pie filling.
- Cook an additional 20-30 minutes.
I steamed my cauliflower in my Oster food steamer and then pulsed it in my food processor with the remaining mashed cauliflower ingredients until smooth.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.