This slow cooker tapioca pudding is not only healthy being vegan and paleo, it’s also super easy with no pre-soaking of the tapioca required.
I think this might be my new favorite dessert. If you can’t tell from the lack of dessert recipes on this blog, I don’t really have a sweet tooth. THIS however is already in regular rotation. You can make this either vanilla (without cocoa powder) or chocolate. Personally, I think chocolate tastes better.
Usually tapioca pudding requires soaking the tapioca first. Not here. Oh the wonders of a slow cooker. Tapioca pudding also usually includes a milk and eggs/egg whites mixture. That’s replaced here with a combination of almond milk and full-fat coconut milk. They provide a creamy, flavorful base.
Vegans will want to use maple syrup as their sweetener but honey can also be used if you’re not following vegan diet. Taste the pudding. If you find that your pudding isn’t sweet enough for you, add some maple syrup. Or drizzle some more on top before serving.
You’ll know it’s done when the tapioca is translucent. The pudding will be a soup-like consistency. Don’t worry, it will thicken as it cools.
- ½ cup small tapioca pearls
- 1¼ cup almond milk
- 15 ounces full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup maple syrup (or honey)
- For Chocolate: 2-3 tsp pure cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Spray the slow cooker generously with cooking spray.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2 hours or LOW 4.
- Finished product will appear very wet or soupy. Stir to mix well.
- Let cool to thicken to pudding consistency.
- Store in the fridge.
I used a small 2-quart for this recipe and got approx 4 servings. You can easily double this and use a 3.5 to 4-quart slow cooker.
Fruit like chopped berries are great add-ins to this pudding!
Which do you prefer? Vanilla or chocolate?
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.