- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 ounces bacon
- 28-ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup broth low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cook & crumble bacon. In a large skillet, add ground beef and cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain grease. Add ground beef to the slow cooker along with the bacon.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or low 6-8.
- Remove bay leaf & stir before serving.
Electric Pressure Cooker
- Turn on the pressure cooker and select Sauté. Add bacon and cook a few minutes until browned. Add carrots and onions and cook a few minutes more.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, crumbling the ground meat as it cooks. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Drain excess grease from the pressure cooker if needed.
- Add oregano, salt, thyme, basil, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to mix well.
- Pour diced tomatoes on top. DO NOT STIR.
- Close lid and seal valve. Cook high pressure for 20 minutes. Natural release pressure for 5 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Remove bay leaf & stir.
The bolognese sauce will thicken as it cools