Bolognese is a great recipe for the slow cooker. This healthy meat-based sauce slow cooks for hours producing a whole 30 and paleo versatile sauce.
This is my first time making bolognese! I’m proud of this recipe. Although it’s not fancy it proved to be a really good meal for me. You’ll need to brown the While I’m not officially following whole30 anymore, my diet still kind of naturally swings that way.You will need to brown the ground beef in a skillet before adding it to the slow cooker. Otherwise you’ll have greasy bolognese. Just a quick brown and grease drain. I did something in this recipe that I normally don’t do with slow cooking – I sautéed my onions first. While some people swear you have to saute your onions for slow cooking, I highly disagree. To me, it’s always a suggested step not a required. Plus I’m a lazy cook so I normally don’t take the time to do that.Ground beef, turkey or even pork you can use the your preferred meat choice.
- 2 lbs ground grass-fed beef
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup homemade bone broth (or low-sodium beef broth)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaves
- 2 tsp coconut aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Brown beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain grease, reserving 1-2 teaspoons.
- Add ground meat to the slow cooker.
- Heat the remaining 1-2 tsp of grease, add diced onion and sautee until onions are soft. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or low 6-8.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Freezer meal!! Double or triple this recipe, bag it and put it in your freezer. I like to bag mine into pre-portioned baggies.You can serve this over zoodles for whole30…Or over Cappellos pasta for paleo!This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.