Salmon seasoned with a simple rub, topped with fruit salsa served on a bed of zoodles. It doesn’t get any easier or healthier than this.
For this recipe I used two pieces of Sizzlefish‘s coho salmon. They’re beautiful, huh? Coho is slowly becoming my favorite type of salmon. Why? Because it cooks damn near perfect every time and you can use a lot of seasoning or none at all. This time I used my go-to rub for the salmon. This is the same run that was used in my Salmon w/Avocado Salsa recipe. It’s pretty fool-proof in my opinion. The salmon can be baked or grilled. I pan-grilled it using my Calphalon grill-pan. I’ve had this pan for almost 5 years now and I love it. I only used 1/2 lb of salmon so I cut the measurements in half. Please note the rub ingredients below is good for 1.5-2 lbs of salmon.
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
I initially intended on serving just the salmon over the zoodles but it felt like something was missing. It didn’t take me long to figure out what. I have a frig full of fresh fruit thanks to Sprout’s double ad Wednesdays. Fruit salsa! Duh.
Fruit salsa is so easy to make. Grab your favorite fruit and dice it up. I used strawberries, blueberries and peaches. Outside of that, you just need a few more ingredients. I like to use red onion but when I don’t have that, I grab whatever onion I can get my hands on. Below is a generic recipe. I suggest you taste this while you’re making it to get the acidity (lime) and saltiness (salt) to your liking.
1/4 cup fresh fruit, diced
2-3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/4 onion, diced
Pinch of salt
Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
- 1-2 lb Sizzlefish coho salmon
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 zucchini, spiralized
- Add ghee to grill pan over medium heat.
- Once melted, take some of the ghee and brush it on the salmon. I use a grill brush for this. Season salmon with the spice rub.
- Add salmon to pan and grill 3-5 min each side. Or until the salmon is done to your liking.
- Remove salmon, add the zoodles (spiralized zucchini) to the pan and saute a few minutes.
- Top salmon with salsa before serving.