Carne Asada isn’t just for tacos. If you’re looking for a different, healthy option, try stuffing them into sweet potatoes. All cooked in the slow cooker of course.
Let’s start with the carne asada. I’m reusing my Slow Cooker Carne Asada recipe because it’s one of my favorites. Both the carne asada and the sweet potatoes were made in slow cookers for this. While I cooked them separately over 2 days, you can cook them together all at once. In the slow cooker. Yes you read that correctly. I’ll get back to that in a minute.
Looks good, huh? When the carne asada is done cooking it should be so tender that it shreds very easily with 2 forks. Heck I only used only 1 fork it was that tender. If your meat doesn’t shred easily then it needs to cook a little bit longer. Try cooking it in additional 20-30 minute increments. It was hard for me not to eat all of this meat in one sitting. I seriously had to remind myself that there was a bigger purpose for this recipe. So if you find yourself picking away at the meat…I understand.
The sweet potatoes. FYI – you can pretty much cook any type of potato in the slow cooker by wrapping it in foil and cooking for a couple of hours. That’s it.
I mentioned earlier that you can slow cook BOTH the meat and sweet potatoes at once together. To do so, you’ll need aluminum foil and a slow cooker liner. Here’s how: wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and place them in a row (not stacked) in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the liner to the slow cooker on top of the sweet potatoes. Add the carne asada recipe inside the slow cooker liner. Cover and cook.
To cheese or not to cheese? I ended up putting cheese on half of my stuffed sweet potatoes; the other half I left as a paleo meal. I have to honestly admit that everyone who had both with and without cheese said the ones with cheese were better. I’ll chalk it up to personal preference.Print
- Slow Cooker Carne Asada Recipe
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- Optional Toppings: 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, avocado, 1/2 cup cheese,
- Add steak, onion & bell to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl and pour into slow cooker making sure all ingredients are covered.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Once done, take 2 forks and shred in the slow cooker. The meat should be so tender it will fall apart easily.
- Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil and add to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or until soft.
- The potatoes will be very hot to so use tongs or an oven mitt to remove from the slow cooker. Let chill 5 minutes.
- Slice open each sweet potato and stuff with shredded carne asada and other toppings.
Optional step: Preheat oven to 375. Top sweet potatoes with cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until melted. Top with extra toppings if using.
I finished this off in my Lodge Cast-Iron Skillet, 10.25-inch. It is hands down one of the best purchases that I have made this year. While this is an optional step, I highly recommend it.
This is recipe 3 out of 5 in my spring/summertime slow cooker series. To recap, Hamilton Beach recently featured my 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese recipe as a part of their 16 Best Spring & Summer Slow Cooker Recipes series. All the recipes in my series will be using my Hamilton Beach Programmable 6-Quart slow cooker since they inspired this idea.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.