A healthy, homemade sauce cooks with carne asada producing tender, falling apart meat. This paleo and whole30 versatile carne asada can be used in so many different ways.
I love Mexican food! Carne Asada in particular is a favorite. While it’s usually grilled, of course I had to make min in the slow cooker. Flank or skirt steak, I used skirt. This recipe is all about the sauce though.
The sauce is homemade, paleo and whole30 friendly. There’s no need to add any additional liquid outside of the sauce.
You’ll know when the meat is done cooking when it shreds easily with a fork. After 3 hours, my meat was tender but just not quite ‘falling apart’ tender for me. I left it in there for an additional 45 minutes and that did the trick.
What will you do with this meat?Print
Slow Cooker Carne Asada
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 lb flank or skirt steak
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 3 tbsp oil (I used avocado oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Add steak, onion & bell to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl and pour into slow cooker making sure all ingredients are covered.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
The sky is the limit! I like to use it as stuffing for sweet potatoes, in a salad, lettuce wrap, or of course in a tortilla.