This Mexican-flavored roast will turn your next family dinner into a fiesta! It produces tender slow cooked meat that can be used so many different ways.
You know I love Mexican food! For this recipe, I took my favorite Mexican flavors and added them to a roast = Mexican roast. That’s pretty much it. I used a chuck roast but you can pretty much use your preferred cut of beef whether it be rump roast or even brisket.
I usually NEVER pan-sear my meat beforehand and I still believe it’s absolutely not necessary. However I was feeling feisty so I did this time. If you don’t have time for step #2 don’t worry, your roast will still taste good. After adding the enchilada sauce & seared roast to the slow cooker, dump the rest of the ingredients on top of the roast and let it cook.
Be prepared for your kitchen to smell amazing!!Print
Slow Cooker Mexican Roast
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 2 tsp evoo
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 15 ounces black beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounces corn, drained & rinsed
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Season roast generously with spice mix.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned roast and sear a few minutes each side.
- Add enchilada sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add seared roast on top.
- Pour onion, bell pepper, corn, black beans, green chilies, jalapeño, and fresh cilantro on top of the roast.
- Cook HIGH 4-5 hours or LOW 8-9.
You’ll know this is done when the meat is so tender it shreds with a fork.
Versatile!! You can serve this so many different ways – in a tortilla, over greens for a nice salad, etc.
I served mine with some mashed cauliflower.