This post is sponsored by Queso Mahón-Menorca
This skinny version of chicken cordon bleu uses a homemade sauce and gluten-free stuffing for a healthier version of a comfort food classic.
Comfort food at its finest. But again, that doesn’t mean it has to be unhealthy! This cordon bleu may be skinny but it’s packed with flavor from Mahón-Menorca cheese. From the island of Menorca where geoclimatic factors such as soil characteristics, temperature and humidity, all factor in, the final aroma and taste of this cheese is like no other.
The boneless, skinless chicken breasts go in first. You can substitute boneless, skinless thighs if you like.
If you can, use nitrate-free ham that’s been thinly sliced but any ham will do. The important piece is that it’s sliced evenly.
I couldn’t decide between Queso Mahón-Menorca‘s cured Mahon PDO or their semi-cured Mahon PDO so I used them both! With a smooth taste, slightly salty and acidic flavor, the aroma is lactic and is reminiscent of butter. But it’s not butter I promise you.
Since I used two different cheese blends, to ensure they cook together evenly, I shredded them down and then tossed then together.
Homemade cream of chicken soup! That’s right, an easy homemade cream of chicken soup made in less than 10 minutes replaces canned. I promise you, you won’t miss the can. Plus it has half the fat, sodium and calories.
Grab your favorite breadcrumbs whether they be gluten-free (that’s what I used), whole wheat or even homemade.
I added dollops of ghee on top but that’s an optional step. You’ll know this is done when the edges start to bubble over. Don’t be surprised if the delicious cheese, ham, chicken aroma overtakes your kitchen!Print
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 8 ounces Queso Mahón-Menorca cheese
- 1/2 lb nitrate-free ham
- 6 ounces gluten-free stuffing
- 1 tbsp ghee (optional)
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together broth, almond milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Heat a few minutes.
- Whisk in arrowroot flour and stir until smooth. Heat a few minutes until thickened.
- Spray slow cooker generously with cooking spray.
- Layer chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Add ham slices on top.
- Add a layer of cheese.
- Pour homemade cream of chicken soup on top. Spread so it’s covering all the food evenly.
- Top with gluten free stuffing and dollops of ghee if using.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
The end result should be a cheesy, creamy casserole with ham and chicken and a crunchy top.
Meat so tender it falls apart!
Served this with your favorite veggies! I used green beans.
This sponsored post by Queso Mahón-Menorca but all ideas, recipes, and opinions are my own. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.