Beef slow cooks with mushrooms for a healthy meal the entire family will enjoy. Make this paleo, whole30, low-carb roast in your slow cooker or Instant Pot!
I’m hoping you like to pair beef with mushrooms as much as I do. Obviously you’ll need to like mushrooms in order to enjoy this recipe. There isn’t a substitute, the name of the recipe is beef with mushrooms.
Normally I don’t take the time to sear my roasts but for this recipe I actually did. I even went a step further and pre-cooked the onions and mushrooms and de-glazed the pan. Who am I ?? While I recommend these steps, they’re always optional. To me, slow cookers are truly meant to for quick and easy recipes so if you don’t have time for this step, don’t worry. Throw everything in the slow cooker; it will still come taste good.
Meat-so-tender-it-shreds-with-a-fork. That’s really what they should call slow cooker roasts. If your roast isn’t so tender it shreds easily then keep cooking it until it is. I used a round roast but other options include chuck roast, rump roast, you can even use brisket. The beauty of slow cooking is that even the toughest meats come out great.Print
Slow Cooker / Instant Pot Beef with Mushrooms (Paleo,Whole30,Low-Carb)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 1/2 lb beef roast
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup bone broth or low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
Optional step – add oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Season roast with garlic powder, salt, rosemary, and pepper. Add roast to pan and sear, a few minutes each side until browned. Remove roast from pan. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic and cook a few minutes until soft. Add to slow cooker. Continue on to step 2.
- Season roast with garlic powder, salt, rosemary, and pepper and add to the slow cooker along with the garlic, mushrooms and onions.
- Pour broth on top.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once Hot add oil to the pot.
- Season beef with garlic powder, salt, rosemary, and pepper. Once the oil is hot, add the beef and sear until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add the beef back to the pot. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. Natural release pressure for 10 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
I like to serve this roast with mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes and a simple salad.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.