This post is sponsored by iHerb.
Beef tips cook with a homemade gravy in this slow cooker or Instant Pot recipe. This healthy comfort food is low-carb, paleo, & whole30 compliant.
Updated 2018 with Instant Pot instructions
Slow cooker season is in full swing. Anyone else excited? This beef tips and gravy recipe is why I love slow cooker recipes. It’s the ultimate comfort food but that doesn’t mean it has to be unhealthy.
I recently did a little bit of shopping at the online grocery store, iHerb. When I say, ‘a little bit’, what I really mean is I spent a little bit of money but I got a lot of healthy ingredients return. Don’t you love that kind of shopping?!? I also love that iHerb carries over 5,000 healthy grocery products so they’re pretty much a one-stop shop; I got most of the ingredients for this recipe in one purchase. And delivered 2 days later.
This is all about the homemade gravy. I tried to keep it as healthy as possible hence the low-sodium grass-fed bone broth, organic ghee, organic seasonings, and a homemade slurry using arrowroot starch/flour.
Slurries are great ways to thicken up your slow cooker recipes. Most people use cornstarch or white flour however because this is a whole30 & paleo compliant recipe, I used arrowroot. The ratio is 1-part arrowroot, 2 parts water.
How thick do you like your gravy? If you like thicker gravy then use a little more slurry. Don’t worry, this won’t alter the taste.Print
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp 4th & Heart grass-fed ghee
- 2 cups Kettle & Fire Beef Bone Broth
- 1 tsp Simply Organic Italian Seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Slurry: 3 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Starch/Flour, 6 tbsp water (or more)
- Add beef and onion to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the gravy ingredients.
- Pour gravy and ghee into the slow cooker.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hour or LOW 6-8.
- In a small bowl mix together slurry. Pour slurry into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook an additional 10-15 minutes on HIGH or until gravy has thickened to your liking.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once hot add ghee to the pot.
- Once ghee is melted, add the beef and sear until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove beef from and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the bone broth, and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add the beef back to the pot along with all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the arrowroot slurry. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 9 minutes.
- Natural release pressure for 5 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
- In a small bowl, mix together arrowroot slurry. Pour slurry into the Instant Pot and stir to mix well. Turn Instant Pot to WARM setting until gravy has thickened to your liking.
Serve over mashed cauliflower for low carb, whole30, paleo…
Or brown rice pasta for gluten-free.
International folks, don’t worry iHerb ships to over 160 countries and their customer service team provides support in 10 languages. No matter where you are, they can help.
This sponsored post by iHerb also contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.