- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 lb shrimp (fresh or frozen), de-veined & peeled
- 1/2 lb sausage, cut into round
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup frozen or fresh okra
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons Cajun (or Creole seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth (for pressure cooker)
- 1 tablespoon oil (for pressure cooker)
- Add all the gumbo ingredients EXCEPT the shrimp to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4–6.
- Stir in the shrimp. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn on the pressure cooker and select sauté. Once hot, add oil, bell pepper, onion, and celery. Cook 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Pour diced tomatoes and broth into the pot. Deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Add chicken, sausage, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, pepper, cayenne, thyme, and oregano. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 5 minutes (7 minutes if using chicken thighs). Quick release pressure.
- Stir in the okra and shrimp. Set the pressure cooker to the warm setting and cook until done OR turn off the pressure cooker and put the lid back on & let the food sit for 10-15 minutes (or until okra is soft and shrimp is pink & cooked through).