Pork & sauerkraut, an old country favorite that can be surprisingly healthy. This easy slow cooker or Instant Pot version is both whole30 and paleo.
Updated 2018 with Instant Pot instructions
Anyone else grow up eating ‘pork & kraut’?? My parents are both from Pittsburgh so my Mother made it all the time when I was a kid. I loved it then and I still do. Sauerkraut and pork are traditionally eaten in Pennsylvania on New Year’s Day to bring good luck for the upcoming year. Yes, I know it is not just a Pittsburgh thing to eat pork & kraut on new years day.
Pork – I like to use country-style ribs (either bone-in or boneless) but you can substitute pretty much any cut of pork whether it be rib, loin, chop, shoulder, etc. I’ve even used baby back ribs. I don’t brown the pork when using the slow cooker but I do with the Instant Pot. I displayed the food this way just to show you all the ingredients. Once everything is in the slow cooker, mix it all together. You want to make sure the seasonings are dispersed evenly. If the meat falls to the bottom under the sauerkraut, that’s okay. I know some people like to rinse their sauerkraut. I do not. I also don’t add apples to my pork and kraut but you can; it’s a great addition!
I bet you didn’t realize how healthy this recipe actually is. Meat, kraut, seasonings and your choice of potato. Sauerkraut is just fermented cabbage so it’s also fairly low-calorie. Both sweet potatoes (I prefer white sweet potatoes) or regular potatoes like red, baby or yellow potatoes also work well with this recipe. How you make this is really up to your dietary restrictions. For example if you follow a paleo diet, use sweet potatoes. If you’re whole30, omit the honey. Use your favorite seasoning salt or use this homemade, sugar-free version:
Homemade Seasoning Salt:
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp turmeric
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Pork & Sauerkraut (Paleo/Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 4 people
- 2-3 lbs country style ribs (bone in or boneless)
- 28 ounces sauerkraut (in juice)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb potatoes, diced (sweet potatoes or regular)
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt (see blog post)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp honey (optional)
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- 1 cup water (for IP)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 4-5 or LOW 8-10.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil. When hot, add pork and brown a few minutes on each side. Remove pork and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-6 minutes. Pour in water and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add pork and all remaining ingredients to the IP. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 35 minutes, quick release.
You’ll know this is done when the meat is so tender it shreds with a fork. Don’t take it out until then. It might not look pretty but trust me, the taste is there!
To make this low-carb, omit the potatoes.