- 2 lbs beef roast
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth or bone broth (1 cup for IP)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Optional step – In a large pan, heat oil over medium -high heat. Season roast and add to the pan. Sear a few minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl, blend together chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Season roast with spice rub.
- Add onion and roast to the slow cooker. Pour in broth.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and shred with fork. Put meat back in slow cooker until ready to serve.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once Hot add oil to the pot.
- Season beef with chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Once the oil is hot, add the beef and sear until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add onion cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add the beef back to the pot. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. Natural release pressure for 10 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.