A homemade rub is used on this easy spiced beef recipe. This low-carb, paleo, and whole30 roast can be made in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2018 with Instant Pot instructions
Another roast recipe. What can I say, I love a good roast. I struggled with the name of this recipe so I just went with ‘spiced beef’. While it’s heavy on the spices, this isn’t a spicy dish. Personally I don’t find chili powder to be spicy and this recipe only used 1 tbsp of it. Still, if you think that’s going to be too much, lower the amount to 2 teaspoons.
I have the slow cooker that allows you to sear directly in the base so I went ahead and seared my meat. Searing your roast before you add it to the slow cooker is a recommended but optional step. For the Instant Pot, it’s almost always recommended.
I used a 2 lb roast in a 6-quart slow cooker but I easily could have fit a larger, 4-5 lb roast. You can double this recipe if you’re feeding a larger crowd. You’ll know this is done when the meat shreds easily. Keep cooking it until it does. Mine took almost exactly 8 hours.
Make sure to use 1 cup of broth if you’re using your Instant Pot.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Spiced Beef (Low-Carb,Paleo, Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 lbs beef roast
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth or bone broth (1 cup for IP)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Optional step – In a large pan, heat oil over medium -high heat. Season roast and add to the pan. Sear a few minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl, blend together chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Season roast with spice rub.
- Add onion and roast to the slow cooker. Pour in broth.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and shred with fork. Put meat back in slow cooker until ready to serve.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once Hot add oil to the pot.
- Season beef with chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Once the oil is hot, add the beef and sear until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add onion cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add the beef back to the pot. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. Natural release pressure for 10 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
I served this with mashed cauliflower and a salad for a low-carb, paleo, and whole30 (the trifecta) meal. Other suggestions include in lettuce wraps or tortillas depending on your dietary restrictions or with potatoes, rice, couscous, etc. The sky is the limit.