Spicy yet simple Latin flavors fire up this Instant Pot or slow cooker chicken recipe. Paleo, whole30, and low-carb, this is healthy and packing heat!
If you like spicy food then this recipe is for you. It’s also paleo, whole30, and low-carb and you can do so much with the end result. It’s seriously a spicy, versatile chicken dish.
You can control how much heat you give this. I like to use one of two options to add spiciness to this recipe: 1-2 jalapenos WITH seeds (the name of this recipe is spicy isn’t it…having said that I use 1) OR you can add 1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce.
Of course if you want to wimp out and not make this spicy at all then you can simply remove the seeds from the jalapeno OR use a couple teaspoons of the adobo sauce and leave the chipotles alone. Regardless of what you choose to do, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling the peppers. Especially before touching your eyes. Yes I speak from experience.
Throw in some 1/2 pound of diced potatoes or sweet potatoes with the original ingredients to make this more of a complete meal. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs but you can substitute bone-in, skin on or even breasts. If you use breasts, lower the cook time by an hour or so because white meat dries out faster than dark meat in the slow cooker. I chose not to saute my chicken thighs in the Instant Pot but of course you can take this extra step.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Spicy Latin Chicken (Paleo,Whole30,Low-Carb)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup salsa of your choice or diced tomatoes + (1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth for IP)
- 2 jalapenos, sliced or 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil; add garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, broth, and all other remaining ingredients, close and seal vent.
- Select manual setting and set time for 15 minutes. Quick-release pressure when cook time is completed.
Cook time calculated for slow cooker.
How to serve this? This is another one of my slow cooker recipes that you can do a lot of different things with the finished product. Most times I eat this with riced or mashed cauliflower.
This is also great over lettuce, with potatoes or sweet potatoes and a nice salad, or depending on your dietary restrictions, with rice or quinoa. Don’t like or tired of chicken? Substitute beef or even pork instead. If you’re not paleo, whole30, or low-carb you can add in 15 ounces of black beans and/or corn.
Updated September 2018